Université de Hearst
Motto in English
|That they might know You|
|Undergraduates||history, sociology, philosophy, psychology, French, geography, business and public administration|
S. P. 580, 60, 9e Rue Hearst (Ontario) P0L 1N0,
|Affiliations||AUCC, IAU, AUFC|
|Website||Université de Hearst|
Université de Hearst (formerly Collège universitaire de Hearst) is a Canadian postsecondary institution with campuses in Hearst, Timmins and Kapuskasing, Ontario. It is a federated school of Laurentian University in Sudbury.
Université de Hearst offers university degree programs in French, covering areas of study such as history, sociology, philosophy, psychology, French and geography for Northeastern Ontario's Franco-Ontarian community. Furthermore, it serves as a recruiting pool for the region's elementary and secondary teachers. As of 2016, the university only offers three university degrees.
The Université de Hearst is a member of L'Association des collèges et universités de la francophonie canadienne, a network of academic institutions of the Canadian Francophonie.
Features and buildings
The Hearst campus located at 60 9th Street features an amphitheater, cafeteria and gymnasium. The Maurice-Saulnier library includes a variety of books and periodicals in French and English and a computer lab. The Kapuskasing campus is located at 7 Aurora Avenue. The Timmins campus is located at 395 Theriault Boulevard.
At its foundation in 1953, the University of Hearst carried the name Séminaire de Hearst. This institution was founded by Louis Lévesque and financed by the population of the diocese of Hearst, Ontario with the intention of providing secondary education accessible to the French-speaking youth of the northeast of Ontario.
The school was incorporated under the name Collège de Hearst in 1959 to focus on university studies; it became the Collège universitaire de Hearst in 1972. The institution then ceased providing college programs to concentrate exclusively on the university programs. It was affiliated with the University of Sudbury in 1957 and later to Laurentian University in 1963.
In addition to providing educational programs, the institution contributes to the French speaking community in Northern Ontario culturally, socially and economically.
The campus in Hearst features a dormitory on the second floor. The campus in Kapuskasing also has dormitory located on Dallyn Ave.